In 1987 the park closed for good. The skating rink had burned down a decade before and the pool was no longer good for swimming and had to be filled in. It seemed that the park was gone for forever.
One day in 1964 while driving down Route 23 Christine saw the Chateau from the road and it was love at first sight. She was unaware of the pool or the rink but she knew that she loved what she could see. She never dreamed that one day it could be hers.
The project began in 2008 with the restoration of the Chateau. The roof had collapsed and there was extensive water damage to all levels of the home. Though many of the original features like the fireplace were able to be save, many of the logs were replaced and some parts were completely redesigned to modernize.
The "Pool House" had fallen into disrepair and only a few of the original parts were able to be salvaged. The block walls in the back are from the original but the almost all of it has been built with the idea of entertaining.
The "Girl Scout Cabin" got it's name from being used as a campsite for new girl scouts.
Elizabeth Ludwig lived at Mount Oval from 1915 -1967 . She married Bernard Young in 1923 and they lived and worked next to Gold Cliff Park. Elizabet was very active in the Scouts and used the park for her events and many residents of Circleville remember it that way. The original building was not able to be saved but the restoration was to try and make it as original as possible. The foundation and fireplace are original.
The pergola area outside of Cornstalk Hall